Friday, June 10, 2016

ANTICIPATION

In a short time I will be heading to Manila, Philippines! My trip is from June 23 to July 28.  I want to share that trip with everyone, so I am practicing blogging and starting my blog now. 

Right now I am in California and yesterday I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge!  I learned all kinds of things about the bridge, but one thought really struck me.

In the late 1920s people started talking about putting a bridge between San Francisco and Marin County. At the time the only way to travel from the city to the northern part of California was to drive a LONG way around the bay OR to take a ferry. Some people wanted a bridge so that there was an easier way to get across and others said that taking a ferry was good enough. Those who thought the ferry was good enough argued that it would be too expensive to build the bridge.

Now, it seems like a no-brainer. Of course the bridge is there. It would be crazy to cut the city off from the north that way. I know that I don't ever think about the cost of building the bridge, although I do resent the way tolls keep going up for maintenance.

It reminds me of light rail today. It seems WAY too expensive and impractical to build light rail. Aren't cars good enough?  We like driving our own cars everywhere. I wonder if 50 years from now there will be light rail and our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be amazed that there was any controversy!

I will be posting text, videos and still photos here!  I hope you will check it out regularly.


No comments:

Post a Comment