Friday, June 17, 2016

COUNTDOWN to Blastoff

I usually do a daily countdown starting 10 days before I leave. Today is Friday and I leave next Thursday, June 23, so it is really only 6 days until I go!


In preparation for going I have been watching South Korean TV programs and reading South Korean authors. The first book I finished totally was 
The Uncharted PathAn AutobiographyBy Yi, Myŏng-bak 
Yi Myong-bak was born poor, but worked hard and started in a low position at Hyundai and advanced to be the President of the country. The picture of Korea that he describes is fascinating because of the HUGE progress it has made in such a short time. 

I have also been watching a TV show called "Tomorrow's Cantabile". It is interesting to realize that many people in other countries have a picture of the United States which comes from American Television. So, I don't want to be too quick to come to any conclusions, but it is interesting to notice the differences.I have learned some vocabulary (an-yung=hello, ne=yes) and observed a few things about life there. People bow to greet and also to say good bye. The shows are what one website called "squeaky-clean". It is fun to watch a show that doesn't leave you feeling like you have to have hot sex every day to be normal. I think it is also helping me not to lump all Koreans together as looking the same. My eyes are getting practice in seeing people differently.
It seems that Korean Dramas are quite popular, so you may want to check them out by searching for Korean Dramas on Netflix or just in Google. There is also something about Korean Dramas being made from Mangas. I have a lot to learn.
I have ignored the Philippines and Japan in my preparation... maybe I will see what I can learn about the Philippines before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment